Los Angeles, an urban city in the state of California, USA, is the godfather of the film industry and cinema. It has everything from Universal Studios to Disney Land to Hollywood, and of course amazing film schools.
What place could provide the best film schools than Los Angeles, the film industry hub with studios, production houses, and not forgetting the iconic Hollywood sign board? We all know the reputation and the notable alumni of the film schools in Los Angeles.
Are you an aspiring student wanting to enter the big, glamorous film industry? Are you also confused about what to choose from so many famous film schools in Los Angeles?
Then worry not. We have researched and screened the best film schools in Los Angeles to help you a little on your journey.
Below are some of the finest and most famous film schools in Los Angeles, with all their education curricula and tuition fees.
Top 11 Famous Film Schools in Los Angeles Worth Spending Bucks
The Los Angeles film schools are extremely renowned and famous and offer quality education, complete creativity, industry exposure, and proper training to prepare their students for the best.
A great film school offers good education, hands-on projects and practice, and a traditional college environment with proper equipment to learn and evolve.
Going to a film school surely increases your knowledge and gives you a higher chance of getting into the film industry. And when film schools are in abundance in the United States, having good film schools matters.
And film schools will surely be rocking in a big city like Los Angeles, where film industry exposure is at its maximum.
Below are some of the famous film schools in Los Angeles that are worth your time and money.
1. New York Film Academy
The name itself screams the reputation and brand value it holds. The New York Film Academy offers several programs, and its main motto is hands-on practice, which makes learning faster than at other film schools. Also, the location is best for practicing hands-on projects and getting industry exposure.
The overall student life is amazing here. The New York Film Academy has several campuses: New York City, Los Angeles, the Gold Coast, Miami, and Italy. This film academy has an acceptance rate of 100%. They have several programs and also offer certificate programs, online programs, and workshops.
All about the New York Film Academy (NYFA):
- Best Courses Offered: Acting, Filmmaking, Screenwriting, Cinematography, Fine Arts, and Many More.
- Location: 3300 W Riverside Dr., Burbank, CA 91505, United States.
- Contact No.: (818) 333-3558.
- Notable Alumni: Shaquille O’Neal, Lana Condor, Kamie Crawford, and Imran Khan.
- Tuition Fees: 15550 USD to 56600 USD (varies with course and duration).
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.nyfa.edu/.
2. UCLA School of Theatre, Film, and Television
It is one of the renowned film schools in Los Angeles. It comes under the University of California, Los Angeles, which is a top university. With that, admission to this film school allows you to study theatre, film, and television, all of which are rarely offered together by other film schools.
The school offers so many amazing film programs, degree programs, master’s degrees, bachelor’s degrees, and everything you could ask for.
All about UCLA:
- Best Courses offered: Theatre, film, and television; animation; directing, acting, and production.
- Location: 225 Charles E Young Dr. E, Los Angeles, CA 90095, United States.
- Contact No.: (310) 825-5761.
- Notable Alumni: Charles Burnett, Robert Carl Cohen, James Dean, and Alex Gibney.
- Tuition fees: 11,210 USD to 45,200 USD.
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.tft.ucla.edu/.
3. American Film Institute Conservatory (AFI)
The top non-profit film school, AFI, is among the best film schools in Los Angeles. It is ranked the No. 1 film school in America. The students of this film school (also called fellows) get trained with proper instructions and equipment for practical projects.
One of the finest film schools for young filmmakers, as they teach filmmaking in many disciplines. AFI students have a history of producing numerous films.
All about AFI:
- Best Courses Offered: Directing, Filmmaking, Production, Design, Editing.
- Location: 2021 North Western Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90027-1657.
- Contact No.: 323 856 7600.
- Notable Alumni: David Lynch, Sian Heder, Rachel Morrison, and Robert Richardson.
- Tuition fees: 68,103 USD (2023-2024) and 70,487 USD (2024-2025).
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.afi.com/.
4. Chapman University, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts
Chapman University has its own name and brand value. Dodge claims to have the best staff and faculty of all the other film schools. The students were mostly recruited by top entertainment and media companies.
This film school in Los Angeles is ranked in the top 10 in the world and is also recognized and ranked Number 4 by The Hollywood Reporter. Dodge offers students hands-on practice and international trips for better education and learning.
All About Chapman University:
- Best Courses Offered: Animation, Film and Media Studies, Screen Acting, Film and Television Producing, etc.
- Location: 283 N Cypress St, Orange, CA 92866, United States.
- Contact No.: (714) 997-6815.
- Notable Alumni: Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer (popularly known as the Duffer Brothers), Chris Marrs Piliero.
- Tuition Fees: 33,410 USD (undergraduates) and 24,172–28,858 USD (graduates).
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.chapman.edu/dodge/about/index.aspx
5. Loyola Marymount University
Loyola Marymount University is a famous and reputable university in the US. Popular for its research and doctoral programs, it is also famous for its film programs. It was founded in 1911, offers a well-rounded education, and definitely comes under the list of top film schools in Los Angeles.
It is ranked number 77 in the Best U.S. National universities by News & World Report.
All about Loyola Marymount University:
- Best Courses Offered: Theatre Arts, Studio Arts, Music, Film, and Television Production.
- Location: Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA 90015.
- Contact No.: (310) 338 2700.
- Notable alumni: Kate Micucci, David Mirkin, Carol Codrington, Effie Brown, and Melissa Blake.
- Tuition fee: 35, 689 USD; 40, 120 USD.
- See everything in more detail on their official website: https://www.lmu.edu/about/
6. University of Southern California, School of Cinematic Arts
The USC School of Cinematic Arts is one of the oldest private film schools in Los Angeles that offers seven disciplines with an interdisciplinary system so that students are not limited to one branch, but have a wider approach to practical knowledge.
This film school has a reputation and history in the media and entertainment business, which gives students exciting career opportunities.
All about the USC School of Cinematic Arts:
- Best Courses Offered: Division of Cinema and Media Studies, Producing, Animation, and Digital Arts.
- Location: 900 West 34th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90089-2211.
- Contact No.: (213) 740-4013.
- Notable Alumni: S. Leo Chiang, Megan Ellison, and Will Ferrel.
- Tuition fee: 75,576 USD; 85,648 (undergraduate students).
- 39,067 USD–57,243 USD (graduate students).
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://cinema.usc.edu/
7. Los Angeles Film School
The famous LA Film School, located in Hollywood, California, is the top film school that offers several offline and online graduate programs that are taught by experienced industry professionals to prepare students for their futures in the real industrial world.
The campus location is a plus. They offer entertainment businesses, media communication, and film for getting a good place in the entertainment industry.
All about the Los Angeles film school:
- Best Courses Offered: Music Production, Film Production, Animation.
- Location: 6363 Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028.
- Contact No.: 323 860 5277.
- Notable Alumni: Matt Villines, Randy Marx, and Phillip Bladh.
- Tuition fee: 28,902 USD-92,130 USD.
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.lafilm.edu/
8. California State University, Northridge
California State University is one of the best colleges in America. CSU has many campuses, one of which is in Northridge, LA. CSU, Northridge (Department of Cinema and Television Arts) is among the renowned film schools in Los Angeles, which serve quality education.
In addition, being a public university, it does not cost a lot. They have a high diversity of student bodies and amazing film courses, making this a great learning place.
All about CSU, Northridge:
- Best Courses Offered: Cinema and Television Arts, Film Production, Screenwriting.
- Location: 18111 North off Street, Northridge, CA 91330.
- Contact No.: (818) 677-1200.
- Notable Alumni: Andrew Strauser, Laura Gonzales.
- Tuition Fee: USD 20,232 Estimated Cost.
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.csun.edu/
9. Art Centre College of Design
A place for all aspiring artists and designers to learn and get more creative Experienced faculty members are there to help students in their selective disciplines. It is also recognized and ranked among the 25 best film schools in America by The Hollywood Reporter and was featured in Variety 2022 as one of the top 50 film schools in the world.
So why would it not be on our list of the best film schools in Los Angeles? This art school is famous for its design and film degree programs.
All about Art Centre College of Design:
- Best Courses Offered: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film (which covers any one of these: cinematography, directing, and editing).
- Location: Hillside Campus, 1700 Lida Street, Pasadena, CA 91103.
- Contact No.: 626-396-2200.
- Notable Alumni: Michael Bay, Mark Ryden, Tarsem Singh, and Doug Aitken.
- Tuition fee: 25,303 USD (undergraduate students).
- 26,742 USD (for graduate students).
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://www.artcenter.edu/
10. California Institute of the Arts
The California Institute of the Arts, founded by Walt Disney, is one of the most renowned colleges in the nation. This film school is famous for its amazing courses related to the arts. It offers several amazing degrees, from media theory to performing arts to design, and prepares students to get into the Los Angeles film industry.
And it can be seen by the recruiters, as many of the students do get selected by Walt Disney, Netflix, and many more big brands.
All about the California Institute of the Arts:
- Best Courses Offered: Film and Video, Acting, Experimental Animation, Directing, Costume Design.
- Location: 24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia, Santa Clarita, California 91355.
- Contact No.: 661 222 2702.
- Notable Alumni: Tim Burton, David Hasselhoff, and Alison Brie.
- Tuition Fees: 28,037 USD–56,074 USD.
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://calarts.edu/
11. Columbia College Hollywood
Columbia College Hollywood, among the amazing film schools in Los Angeles, is a top school that offers quality education in the liberal arts. They have various programs like cinema and media studies, graphic design, and visual arts to prepare students for industry studios.
They have an amazing education curriculum, and this school is among the 20 film schools to get full membership from the Centre International de Liaison des Ecoles de Cinema et de Television (International Association of Film and Television Schools) in France.
All about Columbia College Hollywood:
- Best Courses Offered: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Cinema (can major in either acting, cinematography, directing, producing, etc.), Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Effects, and Digital Art.
- Location: 111 South Broadway, Suite 100, Mail Code 3531, Los Angeles, CA 90015.
- Contact No.: 800 785 0585.
- Notable Alumni: Robert Schwentke, David Gambino, Eagle Eglisson, and Robert Reece.
- Tuition Fee: 25,221 USD–50,366 USD.
- See everything in detail on their official website: https://columbiacollege.edu/
Film schools in Los Angeles have a different vibe and aura that no other film school can match. We have listed some of the famous and worth joining, students’ favorite film schools for you.
Film school is a place where you can learn and grow and get closer to your dreams, and schools may decide your fate, so choosing a good film school matters a lot, and we have made it a little easier for you.
For more related content that you may like, click here.